7 April 2014

Food and yoga

                                                    
                                                      


                                                      Follow me @whitefielder
Happy Monday blog world and the world at large :)
My Four lettered F word is food. Good food never fails to paint a Garfield'ian grin on my face and make my insides dance when I'm eating it.
The endorphins it releases, the burst of flavours on the palate, the appeal food has to every sense of mine makes it an immensely fulfilling experience. And like with anything an imbalanced passion for it can lead us down a different path.
            The addiction to food as with any other addiction is simply a filling up of some hole within our psyche or emotions. Instead of looking for this dent within ourselves and straightening it out, we can resort to various crutches and hang on to it until we are forced to let go of it by one rude shock or the other.
               
                       I will share one Gem that one of my earlier Yoga teachers from SVYASA Bangalore, Dr. Nagendra shares in his lectures. He calls it 'Happiness Analysis'.
                        When we eat a rasgulla or anything we like, we feel a rush of pleasant feelings. The mind becomes still with one second or a few seconds where thought ceases to exist. This is bliss. Wanting to extend this feeling we eat ten rasgullas. Result- diabetes, obesity and other things.
                          Instead if we know what we are doing, we apply the 'slowing down' principle of yoga. We take just one rasgulla and instead of gobbling it up, we eat it in small bites-slowly-enjoying and aware of enjoying the taste, texture, the burst of endorphins in the body and everything we are feeling.
                          This will make it such a complete experience that the greed will evaporate. Simple.
Easier said than done, I know.Try it and see what happens :)
This one's a great tool for de-addiction with anything or from anyone.



                                         A box of doughnuts from a recent food-orgy at my niece's birthday. I ate one of the plain sugary ones :D



                                       

The link below will take you to all the other blogs participating in the April blog challenge. There is a huge variety of theme and the bloggers have worked with great interest to bring you well written, interesting posts.

http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/
                                    
                           

19 comments:

Sreeja Praveen said...

Seriously, this is what happens. Without knowing this principle, I've tried this. The slow, savouring, tasting thing....and it has made me feel full, without compromising on the feel of it !!!
No wonder, it is yogi's wisdom !

Nabanita said...

I eat so fast that I think I end up eating more...Another gr8 informative post :)

Random Thoughts Naba

Tarang Sinha said...

True! Nice thoughtful post!:)

Tarang Sinha said...

And what control...you just ate one!! I might have ended up eating all of them...:)

Anonymous said...

So true!!! Many people ask me why I am slim even after eating whatever I want!! This is the reason. I eat slowly and also I eat limited.

~S(t)ri
Participant|AtoZ Challenge 2014
Smile, it makes (y)our day!

Anonymous said...

So true!!! Many people ask me why I am slim even after eating whatever I want!! This is the reason. I eat slowly and also I eat limited.

~S(t)ri
Participant|AtoZ Challenge 2014
Smile, it makes (y)our day!

Ornery Owl of Naughty Netherworld Press and Readers Roost said...

I love donuts, especially the chocolate covered ones.
I hate my zombie pancreas, which gives me diabetes.
Thanks for stopping by Crazy Town in Looney Land.

Beloo Mehra said...

Very helpful advice, Sunila! To savour the rasgulla...slowly...aah. Bliss indeed :) I have a question now - not about food but about drinking water. I have heard that according to some ayurvedic principle one shouldn't drink water while standing. One should first sit down and then drink water. Is this true? And is there any physiological reason for this? Or is it also about being mindful while drinking?

Anonymous said...

I loved that rasgulla example....
That's why they say eat small bites and chew 32 times....
One more step toward wellness....
great!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting and informative post! I too gobble up whenever I'm in a hurry. Thanks for sharing this :)

Rajlakshmi said...

ooo look at those fabulous donuts :D I loved the idea you shared. I am foodie, maybe next time I will try your principle.

Shilpa Garg said...

I liked the Happiness Analysis with the Rasgullah example! So apt and so true! :)

Sunila said...

Thanks all :)
Sreeja ur natural wisdom at work, Gr8:)
Naba, I used to do the same earlier and even now at times and have to remind myself:)
Tarang:) they r too sweet for my liking.
Sri, thats gr8 :)
Tks Cara, good luck with managing the naughty pancreas :)
Beloo, I feel it is more to get us to relax and settle down a bit before we drink or eat, that we r told to sit before we do either, so that nutrient absorption is best.
Shelleymona, yes v true :)
Taleoftwotomatoes, Tks a ton :)
Rajlakshmi,I'm a food fan too and need to remember this even more due to this.
Shilpa, tks :)

Debbie D. said...

I've always enjoyed food and do sometimes eat a little too much or the "wrong" things. Great post! Moderation is the key, yes? I agree it's best to slow down and savour smaller portions.

Jayanta said...

Yet another informative post. Yes, eating slowly and in pieces do help. Thanks.

Sunila said...

Tks Jayanta :)
Debbie you bet :) Of course I do indulge myself too but try to not go overboard.

Nicole Pyles said...

I DEFINITELY need to practice eating slower. I try to do that including water with my meal, but the practice of eating slower does increase my appreciation of the meal and helps my health overall. :)

Indywrites said...

Golden to tips and simple too.... trying to follow;)

Mina Menon said...

am definetely going to inculcate this on a daily basus